Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 17?

Wow, I can't even remember what day I'm on. I'm now in Elington Missouri, having crossed the Mississippi river yesterday. Today has brought me into the Ozarks which are the last hills before the great plains. I've met up with 6 other bikers over the past two days and we have been riding together which has been a great change of pace.
Eastern Kentucky was insane, much of the time I felt like I was in the third world. Lots of broken down winding roads leading into the mountain, lots of trash, lots of dogs, lots of trailers, lots of poverty, lots of confederate flags and a few neo nazi flags too... no I'm not joking... fu**ing crazy. I can't believe that part of the country is actually IN this country.
By contrast, western Kentucky is an altogether different state, rolling hills, lots of horses, and you can actually see some distance. When I picture "America" its something like western Kentucky but its crazy that eastern Kentucky poverty is "America" too.
The most amazing part about this trip so far has by far been the friendly people. Specifically, the folks at First Baptist Church in Sebree Kentucky, it has really changed my perspective on churches. Beyond that people have been so friendly opening their doors to bikers such as in my current situation, a friendly family, warm showers, food, for 6 people!
Anyway I'm expecting to be in Kansas by Thursday of next week then the miles will really start to click.

No comments:

Post a Comment